Food for Thought

Is science becoming a belief system, with the scientists as the clergy?

Thursday 27 May 2010

A New Beginning?

When I first started this blog, I had no idea where it was going to go. My main idea for it was to invite discussion, comment and possibly exert influence. In the times of regular postings I was starting a discovery of my political beliefs. I have reached a conclusion upon where those lie.

The main tenet of my political philosophy is in personal responsibility. It is not for the politician, scientist, 'expert', lobbyist, teacher, philosopher, parent or friend to tell you how to live your life. It is up to the individual to listen to what these people have to say and, from it, determine the best method for living. No one gets "their money for nothing, and their kicks for free." This is also why I disagree with what David Cameron's 'Big Society' appears to me. There should be no 'big' entity that dictates the appropriate method for conducting ones life. I do think that a big society is better than a big government, but it is the 'Big' aspect that I disagree with.

The next comes in the form of a, probably very incorrectly worded, quote:
"One should be free to do what isn't illegal, not what is legal."
If it isn't a quote then I want to claim it, but I'd rather know what the correct wording is (I know that was the gist of the statement) and who said it. I don't want to claim credit for what wasn't mine. I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere. No one should be persecuted for part-taking in something that is not illegal. If you find it immoral, then that is to do with your morals, they are not necessarily the other persons.

These are probably the two most important aspects of my political philosophy. I also feel that these are two that will not change because I age or anything else. They do not hold to one specific item and they are not mutually exclusive.

A return to the title of the post requires me to answer that question. I have stated what has been achieved through what I first started. I found this a useful method of thinking through ideas, as the words I write will mark down, on a more permanent basis, my thoughts and beliefs. Though I stopped posting on here, I do not think it would be in my interests to stop completely. I do realise I pretty much did.

So to answer the title of this post I shall mark today as a new start. Not really Volume II or Book II, more Chapter II. I feel that anyone who has read this blog may well have an small understanding of my character, and introduction. You have met me once or twice but do not yet know me.

Henceforth I shall write far more on the whimsical side than the irate side, flaming politics. There may be book reviews possibly music reviews as happens on my good friend Kyle's blog, Opinionated and Vocal. There may be short musings on a previous 'Food For Thought', that shall restart. I fear though that the poll shall die a death for a time, maybe to be resurrected like a magician's assistant, only time will tell. So, until I have time tomorrow (which reminds me, I need to clean my room the cleaner is coming around and he hasn't been in here for a couple of weeks and he needs to now), to quote a very favourite person of mine...

TTFN
Ta Ta For Now

No comments: